OCTOBER 15, 2001
By Dan Reany
The Winchester Star
Police dog attack demonstrations, fire safety lessons, and plenty of spaghetti were all part of the activities going on Sunday in different parts of the city to wrap up Fire Prevention Week in Winchester.
|Firefighter Larry Baker helps Taylor Armel, 6, slide
down the firefighterís pole at South End Fire and Rescue
Company Sunday afternoon as Courtney Kerns, 6, watches. The
youngsters attended an open house to mark the end of National
Fire Safety Week. |
(Photo by Scott Mason)
A translator helped Friendship Volunteer Fire and Rescue Co. Career Firefighter Eddie McClellan get his messages across at Bellview Apartments about the importance of smoke detectors.
Change the batteries once per year. If it goes off, leave the
building immediately and then call 911. Check a closed door with the
back of your hand to see if itís hot. If it is, donít open it
because thereís a fire on the other side.
Donít go back inside for anything. Leave the
rescuing to those who are trained.
Shawnee Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company gave fire truck rides all day.
Many companies were set up for child fingerprinting and safety demonstrations, and for giving out plastic fireman hats, coloring books, and other goodies to kids.
South End Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company had a spaghetti
dinner, with the $5 ticket price benefiting
the 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund for the emergency workers of New York City.